Find some great online resources to find great young adult books for teens and parents!
- Best Fiction for Young Adults – YALSA’s Best Fiction for Young Adults Blogging Team presents fiction titles published for young adults in the past 14 months that are recommended reading for ages 12 to 18.
- Booklist – As the book review journal of the American Library Association, Booklist connects library and education workers to the books and resources needed to support and enrich their communities. Issues of the magazine can be checked out from the library.
- Goodreads – Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations! Must be 13 years and older and sign up for a free Goodreads account.
- Great Graphic Novels for Young Adults – Great Graphic Novels for Teens is a list of recommended graphic novels and illustrated nonfiction for those ages 12-18, prepared yearly by YALSA.
- The Horn Book – The Horn Book Magazine is one of the most distinguished resources in the field of children’s and young adult literature. Issues of the magazine can be checked out from the library.
- KDL What’s Next Database – The What’s Next®: Books in Series database was developed and is maintained by the Kent District Library in order to help readers find the next book in a series.
- KNEA Reading Circle Database – Kansas National Education Association members serve on the Kansas NEA Reading Circle to read and screen the best children’s and young adult literature published each year. Since 1926 KNEA has published a list of recommended books by reading level as a service for school librarians and classroom teachers.
- NoveList Plus – NoveList Plus is a database of book recommendations for all readers. To access, visit www.seknfind.org, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Novelist link.
- Outstanding Books for the College Bound – The books on this list offer opportunities to discover new ideas, and provide an introduction to the fascinating variety of subjects within an academic discipline. Readers will gain an understanding of our diverse world and build a foundation to deepen their response to that world.
- Teens’ Top Ten – The Teens’ Top Ten is a “teen choice” list, where teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year!
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers – The Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers list identifies titles aimed at encouraging reading among teens who dislike to read for whatever reason. The list selects fiction, nonfiction, and graphic novel titles. Criteria for these titles include those with a high interest “hook”, a catchy title/cover, sufficient plot to sustain interest, humor when appropriate, and more.
- YALSA Teen Book Finder Database – This database provides access to all of YALSA’s annual selected book and media lists, awards, and honorees. These books and media have been selected for teens from 12 to 18 years of age, and span a broad range of reading and maturity levels. We encourage adults to take an active role in helping individual teens choose those books that are the best fit for them and their families.
Chanute Public Library New Books Book Lists
Check out all our new books!
The American Library Association Youth Media Awards
Each year the American Library Association (ALA) honors books, videos, and other outstanding materials for children and teens. Recognized worldwide for the high quality they represent, the ALA Youth Media Awards (YMA), including the prestigious Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, and Coretta Scott King Book Awards, guide parents, educators, librarians, and others in selecting the best materials for youth. Selected by committees composed of librarians and other literature and media experts, the awards encourage original and creative work in the field of children’s and young adult literature and media. To learn more, visit www.ala.org.
- Michael L. Printz Award
- Alex Awards
- Coretta Scott King Book Awards
- Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe Award for New Talent
- Schneider Family Book Award
- Mildred L. Batchelder Award
- Odyssey Award for Excellence in Audiobook Production
- Pura Belpre Awards
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal
- Stonewall Book Awards
- YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Award
- American Indian Youth Literature Award
- Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature
- Sydney Taylor Book Award
- William C. Morris Award